I’ve finally gotten the chance to try out some recipes in the last couple of months and I really wanted to share this one with you.
I was honestly not sure if I wanted to try this recipe or not. I’m not a fan of peppers or balsamic vinegar, but I thought, “Why not?”
It’s actually delicious and rather light. I used smaller mushrooms and I had it with a serving of meat and used it more as a side dish rather than a whole meal. My edits will be in parenthesis and italics. 🙂
by TWO PEAS on FEBRUARY 26, 2009
2 Portobello mushrooms (I used 6 smaller ones and divided the contents evenly)
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 of an onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, roasted and chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 cups of fresh spinach
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Mozzarella cheese (I used shredded part skim mozzarella)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the stem and gills from the mushroom. I use a spoon to scoop them out.
2. Brush the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar.
3. Heat olive oil in a small saute pan. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until tender. Add in peppers. Cook until tender.
4. Add in tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach wilted and “cooked.”
5. Divide the filling and stuff the mushrooms.
6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on the top and add Italian seasoning. Top with cheese.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about ten minutes or until the cheese is melted.